Friday, December 17, 2010

Documentaries rule my life

I go through phases of obsessions. These obsessions are usually educational obsessions such as: reading as many books from the library as possible, learning how to knit, crochet and loom, photography, learning polish, playing the ukulele, sewing, thrifting, learning everything about the Freemasons, and now documentary/ reality shows. Please keep in mind these are my obsessions from the last year.

Matt and I have always shared a love for documentaries especially the ones on PBS, but now that we have Netflix, I have taken it to a new level. There is another person in this world that I know understands this and has even taken it to a higher level of intensity, yes, you Miss Taylor. I get a weekly phone call saying, "Mimi, you really have to watch this documentary, it is sooooo messed up. You need to watch it now!" And of course, I do with out any hesitation! Carla suggests documentaries that make you literally say to yourself, "Oh no they didn't."

Here is a great example that has been haunting me all day, 51 Birch Street.

A son documents his parents, during filming his mother dies. His father remarries his former secretary 3 months later. OH YES HE DID!


51 Birch Street was a reality I didn't want to realize. It was sad. It was real. It was raw. I kept saying to myself, "please god, don't ever Matt and I become that couple." This is the equivalent of watching Hoarder to clean house. Watching this makes you want to clean up your marriage. So hey Carla, thanks for the awesome recommendation, as always, it was such a wonderful cheerful delight!

Here are some other amazing documentaries I have watched in the last year:



The Cove.
The savage murder of dolphins. It is a total tearjerker. Period.



Dear Zachary.
A documentary about a man who is murdered. It starts off by being a tribute to his life and as the documentary is filmed the trial unfolds. Everyone must see this.


The Fall of Fujimori.
My family is Peruvian, and I had no idea about our history. You want to love and hate Fujimori while watching this.


The King of Kong: A Fistfull of Quarters.
A man's quest to be world champion of Donkey Kong. It is kinda sexy, not gonna lie.


Babies.
This was my favorite of all the documentaries I have watched. I can watch it over and over and over again. Yes, I have baby fever.


Oh! I will post of a new blog on the holiday progress at home. So excited... it like a mother-friggin-winter-wonderland at my house.

peace.love.mimi.

1 comment:

  1. Documentaries rule my life, too! I haven't seen any of the ones you have listed, but I am Netflix-ing them ASAP. If you haven't already, you need to check out "Jesus Camp." Mind-blowing documentary, and totally streamable on Netflix. Miss you, girlie!

    ReplyDelete